Why you should take Via Rail between Vancouver and EdmontonDecember 12, 2012
1. You can often find deals. We rode for 50% off. Opt for berths. They are considerably cheaper than a cabin, feel more open and the cabins are almost claustrophobic. (Compared to economy, you end up with a bed, all the meals and snacks, etc.)
2. The food is good. For instance, my meals were: French Toast stuffed with cheesecake, grilled scallops and prawns on salad, and duck for dinner with raspberry white chocolate cheesecake. Yep, I said cheesecake twice.
3. Free champagne.
4. It feels both retro and romantic.
5. No Wifi and often no cell reception – wait, how is that a positive? It’s a chance to disconnect, to read, do crossword puzzles and chat with people.
6. Jasper is nice. What a nice place to take a little walk.
7. Don’t be afraid to go in the winter. In addition to more sale fares, it is really beautiful.
Seriously, I loved it. I was on the train for over 24 hours and I didn’t want to get off.